Thursday, April 25, 2013

When it rains...it pours....

While most people look at this statement "When it rains it pours" as a negative thing, it is all I have been able to think since some crazy turn of events in the Noorlander family about two weeks ago. Here we were going on with our daily lives, getting ready for the baby, Andrew finishing up his last semester of undergraduate classes and getting ready to graduate. Life was busy but good. We had a system down. A plan for the next 1.5-2 years which included staying in Logan, Andrew working part time and getting his masters degree. Me working part time and taking care of our little girl. It was going to be tough but it was going to work. Then one day Andrew comes home from school and asks if I want to move? ....uh move where? He goes on to tell me that there was a job opening at a Landscape architecture firm down in American Fork that is looking to hire an entry level Landscape Architect. Side note- for those of you who think that a Landscape Architect is the person digging the holes and planting the plants that is incorrect. What Andrew does is design those beautiful landscapes we see around Temples, houses, business buildings, parks, Golf courses... you name it. Then a contractor and a landscaping crew will go out and dig the holes and plant the plants where the Plans that a Landscape architect came up with tells them to. Andrew always gets a lot of weird looks when he tells people what he is studying so we end up clarifying it all the time. Anyway back to my story... So after Andrew tells me the position is open he goes on tell me that one of his professors has recommended him for the job. Before we know it Andrew gets an email from the owner of the firm asking him to apply. So Andrew stays up late throwing together a resume and cover letter and sends it in. The next day He has a one hour phone interview with the owner of the company, who then asks if they can meet in person the next day. So we drive from Logan to American Fork and Andrew goes in for an inperson interview. Luckily he was able to drop me off at my Mom's house because he was there at the interview for over three hours! He finally gets done and calls me on his way home, they offered him the job! (shock and disbelief) because with the economy the way it is a job as a Landscape Architect was going to be hard to come by, especially right after graduation! So we took some time and though it over. Talked about our options, pro's and con's, all that good stuff. The next day was fast Sunday so Andrew fasted about it, since I couldn't I mostly just prayed and pondered about it. I had a lot to think about, I would need to find a new doctor if we moved. I would be closer to my family if we moved, there were many factors to think about. But over all we decided it was too good of an opportunity to pass up and it felt like it was where we needed to be. So, all week long I searched and searched the internet trying to find a place to live. I found a few apartments that I liked and made appointments to go look at them on Saturday. So again we drove down in search of a place to live. We looked at about 5 different places, I was worried about money and finding one we could afford with still being able to save a little for those unexpected expenses that come along with life, and with baby on the way it was stressful to think we wouldn't have the money to provide for her. But I knew it would all work out. So the second to last apartment we looked at was the cheapest and one of the nicest, it had all of the amenities that we wanted, dishwasher included, hallelujah! So we filled out the application, being told that the manager would look over it with the dozen or so that she already had and would get back to us in a few days... this left me feeling nervous knowing it would be hard for us to drive back down again with work and school and knowing Andrew started his new job on May 6th we needed to find a place fast. But, call it fate if you want, the manager came to pick up the applications right as we were leaving so we got to talk to her for a good fifteen or twenty minutes, she is a super nice lady, she loves to talk and tell stories, so needless to say we were there longer then we wanted to be. After we left we went and got lunch and then to Kohls and then to Target to kill some time before our next appointment. While we were shopping at target, in the baby section of course, Andrew got a phone call. It was the manager of the apartment that we had just looked at, she said that after talking to us she saw no point in going over the other applications and that the apartment was ours if we wanted it! Crazy! We still had one other place to go look at so we told her we would call her back and let her know. So we went to the other place, and it didn't work out so we called the manager back, told her we would take it, went to the bank and withdrew the deposit money cause neither of us thought of bringing the check book and took it back to the manager. We walked through the apartment one last time to make sure it felt right, it did and so we gave her the money, and talked again for another 15-20 minutes... like I said... she is chatty. I was relieved that we would have a place to live, that we found it in one day and that it was all going to work out. I knew it would but I like to plan for the worst. So it is official. We are moving from Logan to American Fork in a week and a half, and here I sit, on the couch writing this blog post because packing up the apartment feels to overwhelming and I don't want to do it. So I will procrastinate it for a little longer. Andrew and I are both sad to leave our jobs in Logan, Andrew will move up to full time at his new job, and take night and weekend classes to still get his MBA and I will get to focus on being a full time stay at home mom. That will be weird, but I am sure I will enjoy it. Luckily for me target is a short 3 block walk from our apartment... can you say convenient!? Luckily for Andrew his office is also only about two blocks from our apartment so he will be able to ride his bike or walk as well. Everything is working out, now I just need to find a new doctor down there and continue on with my prenatal visits. Life is a funny thing, you think you have it all figured out and then you get thrown a curve ball. Here's hoping life slows down for just a minute or two before baby comes so we can take a break. So when it rains it pours, but this time around for us it has been a good thing. Lets hope it stays that way!

1 comment:

The Gillen's said...

Isn't it awesome how things just seem to work out even if it isn't what you planned? I'm excited for this new chapter in your lives, tell Andrew congratulations on the job!!